Near McCormick in McCormick County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The first Bethany Meeting House was erected by 1809 on the old Edgefield-Abbeville Stagecoach Road midway between Hard Labor and Cuffey Town Creeks. Bethany Baptist Church was constituted in December 1809, with Amos Dubose as pastor. The present church is said to have been built in 1850 at the Shinburg Muster Grounds, about two miles south of the original site.
Erected 1970 by McCormick County Historical Society. (Marker Number 33-3.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the South Carolina, McCormick County Historical Society marker series.
Location. 33° 55.479′ N, 82° 11.205′ W. Marker is near McCormick, South Carolina, in McCormick County. Marker is on U.S. 378 near Road 138. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mc Cormick SC 29835, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Londonborough Settlement (approx. 5.9 miles away); McCormick Train Station (approx. 6.2 miles away); McCormick County / MACK (approx. 6.3 miles away); McCormick County Veterans Monument (approx. 6.3 miles away); McCormick County Confederate Monument Dorn Mill (approx. 6.3 miles away); Dornís Mill / Dorn Gold Mine (approx. 6.4 miles away but has been reported missing); Long Canes Massacre (approx. 7.7 miles away); Long Cane Associated Reformed Presbyterian Church (approx. 7.7 miles away); Badwell / Badwell Cemetery (approx. 8.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in McCormick.
Also see . . .
1. Bethany Baptist Church Cemetery Listing. An index of those buried in the church cemetery using a transcript dated 1987. (Submitted on July 22, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Love Retires from Bethany Pulpit After 41 Years. In August 1964, Bethany Baptist Church, McCormick, began a "Love" story that has lasted more than 41 years. (Submitted on December 6, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Bethany Church
This church was constituted December 2nd, 1809, by Revs. Amos Dubose, Enoch Brazeal, and Robert Marsh, with eight members from Fellowship and Plum Branch Churches, viz.: Garrett Longmire, John Chiles, George
This church united with the Edgefield Baptist Association in 1810. Rev. R.M. Todd was pastor from some time in 1825 to the end of 1831, with the exception of an interval from January to August, 1828, during which time a Rev. Mr. Roberts was pastor. The church licensed Henry Casper and Washington Belcher to preach in 1810, and ordained Henry Casper in 1811.
William Chiles was made clerk in 1829 and served to 1841. James M. Chiles was licensed to preach in 1830, and was ordained in 1832. At the same time John Chiles was ordained deacon. Rev. James M. Chiles became pastor in 1832, and served as such until the close of 1844.
Rev. William Royal became pastor in 1845, and served until the close of the year 1848. During the year 1849 Rev. A.P. Norris was pastor the first Sunday and the day before in each month; Rev. James Shadrack fourth Sunday in each month.
In 1850 there was a new house of worship built at Shinburg muster ground, near Longmire's post office. The old meeting house, which was on the road from Edgefield Court House to Abbeville Court House, and about midway between Hard Labor and Cuffeetown Creeks, was sold and the church moved into the new house of worship. Rev. John Trapp was made pastor in 1850, and Rev. James Shadrack was ordained to the Gospel ministry the same year, and during the same year Joseph L. Talbert was made clerk.
Rev. John Trapp served as pastor to the close of 1874. Under his administration the church prospered—he was greatly beloved and was finally compelled to resign on account of age and infirmities incident thereto. Hezekiah Edwards and Peter Quattlebaum were made deacons in 1854. John G. Thornton was made deacon
The clerk of the church, Joseph L. Talbert, was killed on Maryland Heights at the capture of Harper's Ferry in 1862. George J. Sheppard was then made clerk, and served until 1869, when he and Orlando Sheppard were ordained deacons. W.H. Yeldell was made clerk, which position he still fills (1894). Rev. R.W. Seymour became pastor in 1875, and served until the end of 1877. Rev. A.G. Collier was called, and served as pastor 1878 and 1879. Rev. B.F. Miller served the years 1880, 1881, and 1882. Under Mr. Miller the church prospered, and many were added to the membership. J.T. White and A.L. Bushnell were ordained deacons in 1882. Rev. J.K. Fant was pastor during the year 1883. Rev. B.F. Miller was again called, and served as pastor from June, 1884, to the end of 1885. The church ordained Rev. J.S. Manardis to the ministry in 1885.
Rev. J.S. Jordan was pastor during the years 1886 and 1887, and was very .successful in his labors.
H.Q. Talbert, L.D. White, C.W. Burress, and W.A. Cheatham were ordained deacons in 1887.
The history of this church was sent me by J.T. White. (Source: History of Edgefield County: From the Earliest Settlements to 1897 by John Abney Chapman (1897),
— Submitted December 6, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,520 times since then and 104 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 7, 8, 9. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.