Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Weyanoke in Charles City County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Kittiewan and Doctor Rickman

 
 
Kittiewan and Doctor Rickman Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Walker, August 3, 2007
1. Kittiewan and Doctor Rickman Marker
Inscription. Two miles south is Kittiewan, mid-eighteenth century manor house. Here lived Doctor William Rickman. From 1776 to 1780 he was director and Chief Physician of the Continental Hospitals of Virginia.
 
Erected 1977 by Medical Society of Virginia, by authority of Charles City County.
 
Location. 37° 20.166′ N, 77° 3.094′ W. Marker is near Weyanoke, Virginia, in Charles City County. Marker is at the intersection of John Tyler Memorial Highway (State Highway 5) and Weyanoke Road (State Route 619), on the right when traveling east on John Tyler Memorial Highway. Click for map. Located in a marker cluster. Marker is in this post office area: Charles City VA 23030, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. North Bend (here, next to this marker); Upper Weyanoke (here, next to this marker); Wryanoke & Parrish Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); New Hope & Court House (approx. one mile away); Three Courthouse Essentials (approx. 1.2 miles away); America’s 3rd Oldest Courthouse (approx. 1.2 miles away); Shifting Ground (approx. 1.2 miles away); Charles City C. H. (approx. 1.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Weyanoke.
 
Also see . . .
Kittiewan and Doctor Rickman Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Walker, August 3, 2007
2. Kittiewan and Doctor Rickman Marker
Shown with North Bend (V 24) and Upper Weyanoke (V 12) markers.
 Kittewan. (PDF) National Register documentation. "Its finely crafted paneling would be noteworthy even in a much larger house, and the mantels added to the original woodwork in the late 18th century have a provincial vigor which adds to the interest of the decoration." (Submitted on July 23, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USColonial EraScience & MedicineWar, US Civil
 
Kittiewan and Doctor Rickman Marker image. Click for full size.
By Patrick ONeill, circa 2007
3. Kittiewan and Doctor Rickman Marker
Modern view of Kittiewan Plantation manor facing Kittiewan Creek, built in the 1770s by Dr. William Rickman and wife Elizabeth Harrison Rickman. Plantation originally called Milford by Dr. Rickman.
Gravesite of William Rickman image. Click for full size.
By Patrick ONeill, circa 2008
4. Gravesite of William Rickman
Dr. William Rickman tombstone at Kittiewan Plantation, now owned and operated by the Archeological Society of Virginia. Stone placed at cemetery in the 1940s.
Kittiewan image. Click for full size.
UVA Library, circa 1930s
5. Kittiewan
South side, or original main entrance to late 18th century Kittiewan Plantation, with mid-19th century porch.
Kittiewan Interior image. Click for full size.
UVA Library, circa 1930s
6. Kittiewan Interior
Interior of Kittiewan Plantation manor, main room. Raised pine paneling original to house, probably the influence of Dr. Rickman's wife, Elizabeth Harrison Rickman who was raised at Berkeley Plantation.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,344 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia.   3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Patrick O'Neill of Burke, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement