“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Coleman in Coleman County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

White Chapel Cemetery

White Chapel Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, April 28, 2016
1. White Chapel Cemetery Marker
Inscription. Coleman County was organized in 1867. The landscape in this area included high grasses, pecan and live oak trees. Deer, turkey, bear and antelope roamed freely. Into this wilderness came such pioneers as John Thomas and Julia Gowens Hamilton, Julia's parents G.A. and Rachel Ann Berryman Gowens, and Rachel's father Benjamin Berryman and his family. The group passed Coleman, choosing instead to settle in this locality. The village of White Chapel grew from the efforts of these settlers and their neighbors.
     The earliest interment on this burial ground was that of Joseph Shipman, who died in 1884. When land was deeded for a school that year, the cemetery was established on the same site. The school, cemetery and community were known as White Chapel.
     The Rock Crusher School District was created in 1916 and included White Chapel District #44, but White Chapel voters rejected consolidation in 1917. The White Chapel Baptist Church was moved to the school grounds in 1930. In 1936 the Centennial High School District was formed and older grade levels were consolidated into the new organization. In 1951 all White Chapel students were consolidated into the Centennial District.
     In 1952 the cemetery was granted a separate deed from the school. Pioneer family names represented in the cemetery are Berryman, Brooks, Collier,
Entrance to White Chapel Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, April 28, 2016
2. Entrance to White Chapel Cemetery
Fenton, Gowens, Jameson, Kelley, Hamilton, Nelson, Saunders and Stacy. Three Civil War veterans and several members of the U.S. Armed Forces are interred here. The White Chapel Cemetery remains a chronicle of the early settlers of this wilderness.
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11814.)
Location. 31° 52.775′ N, 99° 32.153′ W. Marker is near Coleman, Texas, in Coleman County. Marker is on White Chapel Road (Farm to Market Road 503) 2.1 miles north of State Highway 153, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Coleman TX 76834, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Centennial School (approx. 5.6 miles away); Coleman County (approx. 5.6 miles away); Silver Valley Cemetery (approx. 6 miles away); Camp Colorado C.S.A. (approx. 6.8 miles away); Home Town of Texas Confederate Colonel James E. McCord (approx. 6.8 miles away); The Blair House (approx. 7.3 miles away); Mrs. J.A.B. Miller Public Library Building (approx. 7.4 miles away); Coleman County Jail (approx. 7.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Coleman.
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.EducationSettlements & Settlers
White Chapel Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, April 28, 2016
3. White Chapel Cemetery
View to west from White Chapel Road (FM 503)
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 83 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement