“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dover in Kent County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

Eden Hill Farm

Eden Hill Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, April 29, 2016
1. Eden Hill Farm Marker
Inscription. In 1680, a large tract of land called "Brothers Portion" was warranted to John and Richard Walker. In 1695, 200 acres of the parcel were purchased to create the town of Dover. When the town plot was completed in 1718, John Mifflin purchased 69 acres of undeveloped land from the town. The property passed througjh the hands of several landowners before being purchased by Nicholas Ridgely in 1748. By 1749, Ridgely had erected a house on the farm. Among his public interest, Nicholas Ridgely served as treasurer of Kent County and as a justice of the provincial Supreme Court of the Three Lower Counties upon Delaware. After Ridgely's death in 1755, his third wife, Mary had named 'Eden Hill.' She planted two avenues of trees approaching the house. From the 18th through 21st centuries, successive generations of Ridgelys worked hard to keep Eden Hill a productive farm and family home. Eden Hill was purchased by the State of Delaware in 2004 for preservation and use as judicial chambers of the Supreme Court of Delaware.
Erected 2015 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number KC-117.)
Location. 39° 9.207′ N, 75° 32.239′ W. Marker is in Dover, Delaware, in Kent County. Marker is at the intersection of West North
Eden Hill Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, April 29, 2016
2. Eden Hill Farm Marker
Street and Dairy Barn Way on West North Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dover DE 19904, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Booker T. Washington School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of Dover's First Methodist Church (approx. half a mile away); Colonel John Haslet (approx. 0.6 miles away); John M. Clayton (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Site Of Kent County’s First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Capitol Theater (approx. ¾ mile away); Thomas Stevenson House (approx. ¾ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Dover.
Categories. AgricultureColonial EraSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 102 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement