Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Merritt Island in Brevard County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Last Naval Battle of the American Revolutionary War

 
 
The Last Naval Battle of the American Revolutionary War Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jamie Cox, May 3, 2016
1. The Last Naval Battle of the American Revolutionary War Marker
Inscription. The last naval battle of the American Revolutionary War took place off the coast of Cape Canaveral on March 10, 1783. The fight began when three British ships sighted two Continental Navy ships, the Alliance commanded by Captain John Barry and the Duc De Lauzun commanded by Captain John Green sailing northward along the coast of Florida. The Alliance, a 36-gun frigate, and the Duc De Lauzun, a 20-gun ship, were loaded with 72,000 Spanish silver dollars they were bringing from Havana, Cuba to Philadelphia to support the Continental Army. One of the British ships, the HMS Sybil, a 28-gun frigate, commanded by Captain James Vashon, chased the Alliance and Duc De Lauzun to the south. The HMS Sybil fired first, exchanging shots with the slower Duc De Lauzun. Then in a daring strategy Captain John Barry aboard the Alliance reversed his course, and while under fire, waited until the HMS Sybil was close. When the British ship was alongside he returned fire to the broadside with greater number of cannon. The battle lasted less than an hour, when the HMS Sybil, outgunned and badly damaged, broke off from the battle and fled. The Alliance and Duc De Lauzun then continued on their mission at dawn on March 11, 1783.
 
Erected
The Last Naval Battle Marker and Cannon Monument image. Click for full size.
By Jamie Cox, May 3, 2016
2. The Last Naval Battle Marker and Cannon Monument
2006 by the Canaveral Port Authority, the Florida Society of the Sons of the American Revolution, the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-583.)
 
Location. 28° 21.067′ N, 80° 40.929′ W. Marker is in Merritt Island, Florida, in Brevard County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of South Sykes Creek Parkway and Fortenberry Road, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. The marker is on the west bank of Sykes Creek at Veterans Memorial Center east of Merritt Square Mall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 S Sykes Creek Pkwy, Merritt Island FL 32952, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ulumay (approx. 1.4 miles away); Valencia Historic District (approx. 2.4 miles away); St. Mark’s Episcopal Church (approx. 2.6 miles away); Hernandez Trail (approx. 3.1 miles away); Provost Hall (approx. 4.3 miles away); Georgiana Railway: 1892-1894 (approx. 4.3 miles away); I Dream of Jeannie (approx. 4.5 miles away); Carter-Fuller Mound Complex (approx. 4.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Merritt Island.
 
Categories. War, US RevolutionaryWaterways & Vessels
 
The Last Naval Battle of the American Revolutionary War Cannon Monument image. Click for full size.
By Jamie Cox, May 3, 2016
3. The Last Naval Battle of the American Revolutionary War Cannon Monument
Adjacent to the main marker.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jamie Cox of Melbourne, Florida. This page has been viewed 250 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Jamie Cox of Melbourne, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement