Near St. Henry in Mercer County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
St. Francis Catholic Church
In the “Land of Cross- Topped Steeples”
Architect: William P. Ginther (1859- 1933), Akron, OH
Contractor: Nicholas A. Ley, Minster, OH
The parish, established in 1856 by German immigrants, was a daughter parish of St. Henry and named in honor of St. Francis of Assisi (1181- 1226). A brick church measuring 38 by 65 feet was soon constructed on land donated by Christopher and Margaretha Schunck. The early pastors, Missionaries of the Precious Blood, traveled to serve the newly formed parish from Himmelgarten Convent near St. Henry and from other neighboring parishes.
The church, a High Victorian Gothic Revival structure, measures 54 by 99 feet with a spire rising 110 feet. An extensive transept with large stained glass windows, created by the Artistic Glass Company, Cincinnati, dominates the short nave of the church. Bedford Stone was used on the stone entrance and exterior walls, creating a highly decorative and welcoming effect. A large bell in the tower, named St, Michael, was purchased from the Van Duzen Co., Cincinnati was added to the two existing bells from the old church. Three carved wood altars are from Hackner Company of LaCrosse, WI. The church because of its historic and architectural features was placed on the National Register for Historic Places in 1979.
The public school that stood
Presented to the St. Francis Parish on the sesquicentennial anniversary of the founding of the parish by descendants of George and Walburga Karch and the Louis and Caroline Bernard families, A.D. 2008
Erected 2008 by Descendants of George and Walburga Karch and the Louis and Caroline Bernard families.
Location. 40° 23.576′ N, 84° 34.9′ W. Marker is near St. Henry, Ohio, in Mercer County. Marker is at the intersection of Cranberry Road (County Route 115) and Ft. Recovery Minster Road (County Route 30), on the left when traveling north on Cranberry Road. Click for map. this marker is around the corner from the "Cranberry Prairie" marker. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1519 Cranberry Rd, Saint Henry OH 45883, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Cranberry School Bell (a few steps from this marker); The Cranberry Prairie (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Rose Schoolhouse Bell (approx. 3.7 miles away); North Star (approx. 5 miles Maria Stein Veterans Memorial (approx. 5 miles away); New Weston Veterans Memorial (approx. 5 miles away); Annie Oakley (approx. 5.6 miles away); St John the Baptist Catholic Church (approx. 5.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in St. Henry.
Categories. • Architecture • Churches, Etc. • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 107 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.