St. Mary's City in St. Mary's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Fear of War, People of Peace
To assure a place of safety they built a fort at St. Mary's City armed with cannons sent by Lord Baltimore on the Ark. Archaeologists have not yet pinpointed the location of the fort, but his iron cannon may have been used there. It was discovered under the water of the St. Mary's River in 1824.
Although there were periodic conflicts with Virginians, the Yaocomaco Indians generously welcomed the settlers in 1634. The fort never needed as a place of refuge or defense against Indian raids.
“… we have seated ourselves, within one half mile of the river, with a palizado of one hundred and twenty yarde square with foure flankes, we have mounted one peece of ordinance … a fortification (we think) sufficient to defend against any such weake enemies we have reason to expect here.” — Leonard Calvert, May 30 1634
Location. 38° 11.028′ N, 76° 25.846′ W. Marker is in St. Mary's City, Maryland, in St. Mary's County. Marker can be reached from Point Lookout Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Marys City MD 20686, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. St. Mary’s City (approx. 0.2 miles away); Leonard Calvert (approx. 0.2 miles away); Discovering Layers of the Past (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Arrival of Governor Copley (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mattapany Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mathias de Sousa (approx. ¼ mile away); In 1648 Margaret Brent Asks for “Vote...And Voyce” (approx. ¼ mile away); Upon This Shore (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in St. Mary's City.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 152 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.