River Forest in Cook County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
River Forest, Illinois
Proud Heritage – Bright Future
On the east bank of the Des Plaines River, a steam powered sawmill built in the 1830s provided lumber for an expanding population. Its future co-owner, Ashbelle Steele, was the first European settler in the county, arriving in 1836. In 1859 he contracted for the landmark brick “Harlem School.” The Pennsylvania Turnpike (now Lake Street), was laid out in 1842 and one of the first planked roads in America. In 1880 prosperous settlers influenced by the temperance movement incorporated River Forest. The town installed electric street lights in 1890. In 1914 the River Forest Park District purchased Washington Square to prevent an ice manufacturer from coming into town. Likewise, the Forest Preserve District of Cook County purchased a portion of Thatcher Woods in 1917 to preserve an oak savanna. The town grew from 1,000 residents in 1894 to 8,829 by 1930. The River Forest Tennis Club (1905), with its showcase Frank Lloyd Wright clubhouse, was home to the National Clay Courts Championship
Erected 2012 by Patrick Yerkes, Troop 65, Eagle Scout Project, Illinois Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Illinois State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 41° 52.942′ N, 87° 49.267′ W. Marker is in River Forest, Illinois, in Cook County. Marker is on Forest Ave 0.1 miles south of Washington Boulevard, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: approx. 125 Forest Ave, River Forest IL 60305, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Burial Site of Josette Beaubien (approx. 4.4 miles away); Alexander Robinson (approx. 6.1 miles away); Florsheim Shoe Company Building (approx. 6.2 miles away); Charles N. Loucks House (approx. 6.7 miles away); Mammoth Spring (approx. 6.8 miles away); Ben Fuller House (approx. 7 miles away); West Side Grounds (approx. 7.8 miles away); Old Treaty Elm (approx. 8.2 miles away).
More about this marker. Marker is a part of Illinois State Historical marker series.
Categories. • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 128 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.