Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Hockaday School
Opened on September 25, 1913, in a large house on Haskell Avenue, the school became known as the Miss Hockaday School for Girls. With an initial enrollment of ten students and four part-time teachers, the school began a tradition of excellence in education following Hockaday's cornerstones of "character, scholarship, courtesy, and athletics."
Experiencing steady growth in enrollment of resident and day students, the school expanded its primary and secondary curriculum in later years to establish a junior college, in operation from 1931 to 1951.
Moved in 1919 to a campus on Greenville Avenue, the Hockaday School was relocated to a 100-acre site on Welch Road in 1961.
(Incise on Base) Virginia Maxson Buchanan-Smith '60 Mary Maxson Thompson '67
Location. 32° 54.413′ N, 96° 49.774′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is at the intersection of Welch Road and Hockaday Drive, on the right when traveling north on Welch Road. Click for map. Mounted on the right side of the exit gate. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11600 Welch Rd, Dallas TX 75229, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mount Calvary Cemetery (approx. 3.2 miles away); Mickey Charles Mantle (approx. 3.9 miles away); Love Field Airman Memorial (approx. 4.6 miles away); Texas’ First Airmail and Passenger Service (approx. 4.6 miles away); Love Field (approx. 4.6 miles away); Oath of Office of President Johnson (approx. 4.6 miles away); Frankford (approx. 5.7 miles away); Carrollton Black Cemetery (approx. 6.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Dallas.
Also see . . . The Hockaday School. (Submitted on May 9, 2016.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 164 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.