Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arcata in Humboldt County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Jacoby's Storehouse

 
 
Jacoby's Storehouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Erik Christeson, February 11, 2012
1. Jacoby's Storehouse Marker
Inscription. Originally built in 1857 by Augustus Jacoby, this building was constructed of locally quarried stone and brick. This was the first fire proof building in Humboldt County. Jacoby left Arcata in 1862 and mercantile firms continued to occupy the "fireproof store warehouse". After the disastrous fire of 1875, which destroyed many buildings on the north and east sides of the Plaza including his own business, Alexander Brizard, in 1880, purchased the building as a new location for his mercantile business. In 1907 the second and third floors were added and the building was expanded to its current exterior shape. The Brizard family closed the building in 1974, renovating it to its current grandeur and reopening it in 1977 as a "business incubator". Since then, "The Storehouse" has served as a home to a variety of retail shops, restaurants and offices.
 
Erected 2012 by Native Sons of the Golden West, David G. Allen, Grand President. (Marker Number 135-8.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 40° 52.059′ N, 124° 5.229′ W. Marker is in Arcata, California, in Humboldt County. Marker is at the intersection of 7th Street and
Jacoby's Storehouse image. Click for full size.
By Erik Christeson, February 11, 2012
2. Jacoby's Storehouse
Marker is behind the California Bear Flag (prior to the dedication ceremony) the the left and below the reddish oval marker.
H Street, on the right when traveling west on 7th Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 780 7th Street, Arcata CA 95521, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Methodist Society on Humboldt Bay (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Minor Theatre (approx. 0.2 miles away); Camp Curtis (approx. 1.6 miles away); Hose Company Number 4 (approx. 5.6 miles away); The Carson House (approx. 5.7 miles away); Indian/Gunther Island Site 67 (Tolowot) (approx. 5.8 miles away); The Samuel W. McFarland Block (approx. 5.8 miles away); The Josiah Gregg Expedition (approx. 5.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Arcata.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 
Dedication image. Click for full size.
By Erik Christeson, February 11, 2012
3. Dedication
Grand President David Allen concludes the dedication ceremony.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by James King of San Miguel, California. This page has been viewed 147 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by James King of San Miguel, California.   3. submitted on , by James King of San Miguel, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Clear in focus close-up of the marker. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement