Ridgeville in Dorchester County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
This town, in Colleton County before Dorchester County was founded in 1897, dates from 1831. It was one of the first stations on the S.C. Rail Road from Charleston to Hamburg. This area was called Ridgeville as early as 1820, for its location on a ridge between Four Holes Swamp and Cypress Swamp. From the 1840s to the Civil War Ridgeville was a popular destination for "pleasure parties," day trips up from Charleston and back on the S.C. Rail Road.
Erected 2013 by The Upper Dorchester County Historical Society. (Marker Number 1820.)
Location. 33° 5.73′ N, 80° 18.921′ W. Marker is in Ridgeville Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ridgeville SC 29472, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cypress Methodist Camp Ground (approx. 2.5 miles away); Berkeley County (approx. 2.7 miles away); Moorefield Memorial Highway, (Southern Terminus) (approx. 3.8 miles away); Revolutionary War Cannon (approx. 3.9 miles away); Four Holes Swamp (approx. 3.9 miles away); Four Holes Swamp Bridge / Harley's Tavern (approx. 3.9 miles away); Dorchester (approx. 5.5 miles away); Wassamassaw (approx. 9.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Ridgeville.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dean Moss McCracken of Lakeland, Florida. This page has been viewed 117 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Dean Moss McCracken of Lakeland, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.