Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Birthplace of the Veterans of Foreign Wars

 
 
Birthplace of the Veterans of Foreign Wars Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 10, 2008
1. Birthplace of the Veterans of Foreign Wars Marker
Inscription. On the evening of September 29, 1899, thirteen recently returned veterans of the Spanish-American War met in a tailor shop that once stood on this site. These men, all veterans of the Columbus-based 17th Infantry Regiment that had fought in Cuba, shared their memories of the conflict, honored their fallen comrades, and discussed issues of concern to all foreign service veterans. The organization that they formed that night, the American Veterans of Foreign Service, was the nucleus of a nationwide organization that became the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) in 1914. The oldest continuing national organization for veterans' affairs, the VFW traces its birth to this site in 1899.
 
Erected 2000. (Marker Number 32-25.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 39° 57.422′ N, 82° 59.495′ W. Marker was in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker was on East Main Street, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is adjacent to Fisher Hall of Franklin University. Marker was at or near this postal address: 300 East Main Street, Columbus OH 43215, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Birthplace of the Veterans of Foreign Wars Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 10, 2008
2. Birthplace of the Veterans of Foreign Wars Marker
Fisher Hall, Franklin University, in background.
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Starling Medical College and St. Francis Hospital (approx. 0.3 miles away); Topiary Garden (approx. 0.3 miles away); Deaf School Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Columbus Main Library / Judge Noah Swayne Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); Central Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); America’s Pioneer Kindergarten (approx. 0.4 miles away); Former Federal Court Building and Post Office (approx. 0.4 miles away); Snowden- Gray House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbus.
 
More about this marker. According to Remarkableohio.com the marker has been removed due to it being damaged. Google maps as of 2015 shows that the marker is no longer there.
 
Also see . . .  VFW Centennial Plaza. The VFW Centennial Plaza has a bronze relief of the four main founding members, including James Romanis. (Submitted on October 14, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.) 
 
Categories. Fraternal or Sororal OrganizationsMilitaryPatriots & PatriotismWar, Spanish-American
 
James Romanis, A Founding Father of the VFW image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 10, 2008
3. James Romanis, A Founding Father of the VFW
1878-1954, 17th United States Infantry, Spanish American War. Section 81, Green Lawn Cemetery, Columbus, Ohio.
James Romanis, A Founding Father of the VFW image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 10, 2008
4. James Romanis, A Founding Father of the VFW
April 16, 1878-December 7, 1954. Ohio, Private, Company G 17th Regiment Infantry, Spanish American War.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,305 times since then and 2 times this year. Last updated on , by Melanie Born of Parma, Ohio. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement