Granville in Licking County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Elias Gilman House / The Wee White House
The Elias Gilman House
The original structure, the central portion of the current house, is the oldest frame building in the village. It was built in 1808 by Elias Gilman, a prominent figure from Granville Massachusetts, who led the first family party to Ohio to establish a new settlement. In the home's early years, it served as a post office, library, retail store, and select school. The initial meeting of the Freemasons of Granville was held in the home in 1811 and the local Women's Christian Temperance Union organized here in the 1880s . A large spring to the west of the house supplied the village with water throughout the 19th century. The house has been an integral part of community life for over 200 years.
The Wee White House
Chi Psi Delta, a local sorority, purchased the home in 1904, making the first sorority house at Denison University . The group would eventually become part of the national Greek organization Kappa Alpha Theta. The "Wee White House," as it became known, has been home to the Beta Tau Chapter of KAΘ since 1929. The house has endured several changes throughout the years, including the 1830s addition of the Classical Revival style porch, with Doric columns of solid walnut, and the construction of the north living room in 1863. The west
Erected 2014 by Denison University, The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 25-45.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 40° 4.168′ N, 82° 31.31′ W. Marker is in Granville, Ohio, in Licking County. Marker is on North Mulberry Street near West College Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Granville OH 43023, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Founding of Granville, The Licking Company / The Granville Site "The most eligible part" (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Granville Opera House (about 800 feet away); Bolen Memorial Park (about 800 feet away); An Early Center of Education / Educating Young Women (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bank of the Alexandrian Society (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Granville Academy / The Anti-Slavery Movement (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Robbins Hunter Museum Avery-Downer House (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Colony Burying Ground, 1805 (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Granville.
Also see . . . Denison University. (Submitted on May 12, 2016, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 108 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.