A Brief History of Eastmoor / Eastmoor Polo Field
A Brief History of Eastmoor
In 1798, Articles of Confederation Congress provided land to British Canadians who lost property because of loyalty to American revolutionaries during the American War of Independence (1775-1783). This land was part of the Refugee Tract and the present-day Truro Township. In 1850, Henry Stanbery, first Attorney General of Ohio, purchased a portion of this land. In 1923, Charles Johnson bought a section of this land and had it platted as the Eastmoor Addition by the Jennings-Lawrence Company with the polo field at the center. Eastmoor has houses ranging in age from the 1920s to the early 21st century, including Lustron homes built after WWII.
Eastmoor Polo Field
This polo field was the centerpiece of an equestrian community developed by Charles Johnson in the early 1920s. The Eastmoor Polo Club played on this field until the facilities were destroyed by fire. The fire plus the rapid growth of Eastmoor's residential community, caused the club to be relocated to the Rocky Fork Hunt Club, established in 1925 exclusively for the Eastmoor Polo Club. The Eastmoor polo field, commonly known as Virginia Lee Circle, was named for Virginia Smith and Lee Huntington as a wedding gift from Charles Johnson. The mounted polo player, on granite stones at Eastmoor's entrances, is a replica
Erected 2012 by Eastmoor Civic Association The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 118- 25.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 58.013′ N, 82° 55.104′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of Virginia Lee Rd and South Virginia Lee Rd, in the median on Virginia Lee Rd. Click for map. Marker is at the north end of a park area, between two sections of Virginia Lee Road. Marker is at or near this postal address: 215 S Virginia Lee Rd, Columbus OH 43209, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Eastmoor (approx. ¾ mile away); Bexley World War II Memorial (approx. one mile away); Bexley (approx. one mile away); Camp Bushnell (approx. one mile away); The National Road / The Interurban Electric Railway (approx. 1.1 miles away); Whitehall Tavern (approx. 1.1 miles away); Capital University (approx. 1.2 miles away); Columbus Depot (approx. 1.4 miles away).
Categories. • Architecture • Settlements & Settlers • Sports •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 152 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.