Cherry Hall in Charles City County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Sandy Point & Cherry Hall
Charles City County, Virginia
Inland from the James River during the 1800's, the cross-roads community that developed near Cherry Hall Plantation included Graves' Shop and Rural Shades Academy. Nearby stood the first Lower Church of Westover Parish (ca. 1735-1805) and Jerusalem Church (est. 1877). The store of W. T. Haynes served this community until ca. 1930.
Erected by Charles City County.
Location. 37° 18.623′ N, 76° 57.832′ W. Marker is in Cherry Hall, Virginia, in Charles City County. Marker is at the intersection of John Tyler Memorial Highway (Virginia Route 5) and Sandy Point Road (Virginia Route 613), on the right when traveling east on John Tyler Memorial Highway. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Charles City VA 23030, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sturgeon Point & Kennons (approx. 2 miles away); Kennon's Landing (approx. 2 miles away); Sherwood Forest (approx. 2 miles away); Fort Pocahontas (approx. 2 miles away); Paspahegh Indians (approx. 2.1 miles away); Piney Grove and E. A. Saunders (approx. 2.1 miles away); Mt. Zion & Rustic (approx. 2.3 miles away); President Tyler's Home (approx. 3.6 miles away).
Categories. • 20th Century • Colonial Era • Landmarks • Native Americans • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,277 times since then and 2 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on , by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.