Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Leonard in Calvert County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

A Place in Chesapeake History

 
 
A Place in Chesapeake History Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 15, 2016
1. A Place in Chesapeake History Marker
Inscription. Here, where St. Leonard Creek meets the Patuxent River, people lived and events took place that helped shape the region’s — and America’s — history.

Look downriver towards Solomons and see the Governor Thomas Johnson Bridge in the distance. Upstream on the right you can see the town of Broomes Island. Or look out across the river, towards St. Mary’s County to Sotterly Plantation.

St. Leonard Creek contains several historical landmarks, Thomas Johnson III, first governor of Maryland, was born in 1733 at the Brewhouse. This property was bought by the Macklls in 1840s. Mackall’s Wharf was one of the two steamboat landings on the creek until the early 1900s. The 2nd landing, Sollers Wharf was located across the creek.

Capital Punishment on the Point

John Dandy — Rogue, gunsmith, executioner, murderer, executed.

A blacksmith and gunsmith, Dandy’s skills were more important to early Maryland than was his reputation for violence. Convicted of killing an Indian servant, Dandy’s sentence was commuted to performing 7 years of public service, including acting as the colony’s executioner. In 1657 he was found guilty of murdering a second servant, after the corpse bled when he touched it. He was hung on a “Island” as the mouth of St. Leonard Creek, which was probably
Three Markers image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 15, 2016
2. Three Markers
the point where you are standing.
 
Location. 38° 23.381′ N, 76° 30.444′ W. Marker is in St. Leonard, Maryland, in Calvert County. Click for map. On Peterson's Point. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Leonard MD 20685, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. June 1814 — War Visits the Patuxent (here, next to this marker); Idyllic Retreat — Beach House on the Point (here, next to this marker); Smith’s St. Leonard Site (approx. 0.3 miles away); Land Battle Evidence (approx. 0.3 miles away); Valor at St. Leonard Creek (approx. 0.3 miles away); John Stuart Skinner (approx. 0.3 miles away); “We Must Have Done Them Considerable Damage” (approx. 0.3 miles away); “The Commodore Can Beat Any…Barges…Sent Against Him” (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in St. Leonard.
 
Categories. Colonial EraWar of 1812
 
Map: You Are Here image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 15, 2016
3. Map: You Are Here
Close-up of map on marker
The Brewhouse image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 15, 2016
4. The Brewhouse
The Brewhouse, standing since the late 1700s witnessed the 1814 battle of St. Leonard Creek.
Close-up of photo on marker
Sotterly image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 15, 2016
5. Sotterly
Built around 1714, Sotterley is where American troops gathered in June 1814 to support Commodore Barney’s Chesapeake Flotilla, which was trapped in St. Leonard’s Creek.
Close-up of photo on marker
Spout Farm image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 15, 2016
6. Spout Farm
Before he purchased the Point Farm property in 1834 Captain Peterson owned Spout Farm. This farm was given to his daughter, Elizabeth Peterson Sollers.
Close-up of photo on marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 231 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   5, 6. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement