Geography & Historic Landscape of Jacobs Creek
Attracted by rich soils, farmers began settling in the area around Jacobs Creek as early as the late 17th century. The agricultural landscape and heritage they established defined the region’s unique identity.
Prior to 1690, few settlers established themselves north of the Falls of the Delaware (at present day Trenton). By the end of the 17th century, however, settlers of European descent from Long Island and East Jersey had begun to flood into the Hopewell area. This influx would continue unabated until the Revolution. These new farmers clear-cut most of the existing forests and began cultivating the land. In the process, they established large farmsteads which became family seats that persisted for many generations. Gradually, however, as the population expended, so did demand for arable land. The large farms established during the early Colonial period were subsequently subdivided into increasingly smaller farmsteads. Often this was done in order to provide each of a family’s sons with his own tract of land.
Washington at Jacobs Creek
By the time George Washington’s troops marched down Bear Tavern Road in late December of 1776, the landscape they would have encountered was characterized by expansive, open farm fields dotted by scattered farmsteads. Although isolated strands of
This early clearcutting would also have resulted in extensive erosion, particularly around Jacobs Creek. Although it is unclear exactly what the water level of Jacobs Creek was during this period, or how three hundred years of agricultural practice and residential and commercial development has affected erosion and water flow along the creek, it is likely that the water levels at this established ford were generally shallower than they appear today.
After the Revolution
In the century following the Revolution, the life and landscape of Hopewell remained largely unchanged. Although agricultural production and natural farmland drove many settlers west in search of better land and opportunity. Transportation and industrial developments that altered the landscape of other parts of the nation did not dramatically impact the Hopewell area, as many of these “improvements” were integrated relatively seamlessly into the existing rural landscape.
(Inscription in the box on the left)
During the Colonial period,
Location. 40° 17.448′ N, 74° 50.426′ W. Marker is in Titusville (Hopewell Township), New Jersey, in Mercer County. Marker is on Jacobs Creek Road. Click for map. This marker is on the left of the three markers that are together. Marker is in this post office area: Titusville NJ 08560, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Washington’s March to Trenton (here, next to this marker); Bridges, Roads, and Railroads of Jacobs Creek (here, next to this marker); Bear Tavern Road (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mercer Airport (approx. ¾ mile away); Continental Lane (approx. 1.4 miles away); The March to Trenton (approx. 1.4 miles away); 200th Birthday of George Washington (approx. 1.5 miles away); Bicentennial of General George Washington's Birthday (approx. 1.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Titusville (Hopewell Township).
Categories. • Agriculture • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 62 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.