Anderson in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Blue Ridge Railroad Passenger Station -- c. 1913
This building was erected as a passenger station for the Blue Ridge Railroad. It bridges the railroad cut under North Main Street which was excavated by the Blue Ridge Railroad Company as part of a project to build a line over the mountains to Knoxville, Tennessee, where it would connect with other railroads to the mid-west. The excavation work was done by Drawford Keys with the help of slave labor beginning in 1854. The project was abandoned in 1869, and the railroad was completed only as far as Walhalla. The Blue Ridge Passenger Station of later years was closed when passenger service was discontinued about 1945.
Location. 34° 30.25′ N, 82° 39′ W. Marker is in Anderson, South Carolina, in Anderson County. Marker can be reached from North Main Street (U.S. 29), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is located on a pillar facing the building. It is not visible from the road. Marker is at or near this postal address: 124 North Main Street, Anderson SC 29621, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fant's Book Store -- 1851 (within shouting distance of this marker); Anderson: "The Electric City" William Church Whitner (about 300 feet away); Anderson County Court House -- 1898 (about 400 feet away); Anderson County Confederate Monument (about 400 feet away); The Four Way Test (about 400 feet away); Anderson County Law Enforcement Officers Memorial (about 400 feet away); Portman Shoals (about 500 feet away); Portman Dam and Power Plant (about 500 feet away); G.F. Tolly Building -- c. 1910 (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Anderson.
Categories. • African Americans • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 158 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.