“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ione in Amador County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)

Quincy - Ione's Sister City

Quincy - Ione's Sister City Marker image. Click for full size.
By James King, May 21, 2016
1. Quincy - Ione's Sister City Marker
Inscription. Quincy, located approximately 1 1/2 miles east of here off Mule Creek, was one of the cities within the boundaries of Rancho Arroyo, or the grant, that suddenly appeared in the early 1850's.

Don Andreas Pico purchased the grant from Teodosio Yorba in 1844 with 500 head of longhorn cattle.

Before its destruction, Quincy was quite large. According to the "Quincy Prospector," it rivaled Sacramento in its best days (copies on file in the state archives).

Quincy was built by the settlers coming to California during and before the "Gold Rush" of 1849. The people of Quincy were shocked and astonished when Pico and his vaqueros rode in from Mission San Jose to inform them to vacate, as they were trespassing. Pico was entirely within his rights.

Years of bloodshed followed. This loosely organized war of murder and ambush diminished with the arrival of a battalion of infantry, a battery of field artillery and a troop of cavalry from the Presidio of San Francisco. They garrisoned the area well after 1865.

This came too late, however, for Pico's wife, murdered during this period. Her grave was located 6 miles south of Quincy, near the Miwok town of Uoo-Poo-Soo-Ne. Finally, the settlers were given the choice of Ione or Quincy. With Ione the winner, Quincy was evacuated, burned and dynamited to
Quincy Monument image. Click for full size.
By James King, May 21, 2016
2. Quincy Monument
The guard shack for Mule Creek State Prison can be seen on the left...don't annoy the guards, they will be over to talk to you.
The monument is visible on the right.
the ground in two weeks.

After all this time and destruction, aerial photographs still show the four lane main street with parking, and its many large side streets revealed by the short grass cover of the streets against the longer grasses inside the old foundations.
Erected 1987 by Ione Parlor #33 and Grand Parlor, Native Sons of the Golden West, Everett White Jr., Grand President.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 38° 22.068′ N, 120° 57.323′ W. Marker is in Ione, California, in Amador County. Marker can be reached from Michigan Bar Road (California Route 104) 1.5 miles from East Plymouth Highway (California Route 124). Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4001 Hwy 104, Ione CA 95640, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Preston Castle (approx. 0.3 miles away); Scully Ranch (approx. one mile away); Ione Brewery (approx. 1.5 miles away); The Heirloom (approx. 1.5 miles away); Steam Flour Mill (approx. 1.5 miles away); Iron Ivan
The Old Mining Town-Quincy Marker image. Click for full size.
By James King, May 21, 2016
3. The Old Mining Town-Quincy Marker
The above plaque was originally dedicated March 14, 1987
Formally mounted and re-dedicated May 12, 2006
by the
Native Sons of the Golden West
Thomas J. Sears II, Grand President
(approx. 1.6 miles away); Old Red Brick Building Saloon (approx. 1.6 miles away); Ione City Hall (approx. 1.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Ione.
More about this marker. This marker is inside the west entrance to Mule Creek State Prison (before the guard shack).
Categories. Hispanic AmericansSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by James King of San Miguel, California. This page has been viewed 131 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by James King of San Miguel, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement