Kanab in Kane County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Utah Historic Site
Although the Kanab Library was founded in 1915, it was not at first housed in a permanent structure but was rather moved around to various temporary accommodations. In 1938, an $8,000 bond election was approved to build a permanent library, and plans drawn by the architect Carson F. Wells were acquired from the city of Salina, which had just constructed a library, The Kanab Library is basically identical to the Salina building and combines features of both the Prairie School and Art Deco styles. Wells's design combines a symmetrical facade with abstract geometrical embellishments which tones down the rigidly formal appearance of the building.
Erected 2002 by Division of State History.
Location. 37° 2.878′ N, 112° 31.554′ W. Marker is in Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13 South 100 East, Kanab UT 84741, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gregg Palmer (within shouting distance of this marker); Don Shanks (within shouting distance of this marker); Gronway "Gron" Parry (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Whitney "Whit" Parry (about 300 feet away); Chauncey "Chance" Parry (about 300 feet away); Johnny Western (about 300 feet away); Charlton Heston (about 400 feet away); Dale Robertson (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Kanab.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 160 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.