Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kanab in Kane County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

The Academy Bell

 
 
The Academy Bell Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, May 17, 2016
1. The Academy Bell Marker
Inscription. For the people of Kanab, this bell represents schools and the importance of learning. From its founding in 1870, Kanab citizens have been encouraged to obtain as much education as possible and to use it for the benefit of all. For the first two decades, school classes were held in temporary buildings and even in homes. In 1890 a proper school was built on the northeast corner of Main and 1st North. The original one story structure had walls of hewn stone gathered from the surrounding hills. With ever growing population, the roof of the school was removed in 1896 and a second story with brick walls was added along with a belfry on top to complete the "Academy", shown here. The Academy Bell could be heard clearly throughout the town, calling children to school on weekdays and everyone to church on Sundays. The bell signaled curfew each evening, sounded solemnly for funerals and rang wildly as an alarm for public emergencies such as fires and floods.

By 1914 the Academy was overflowing with students eager to learn so some grades were held in other buildings such as the "Ward Hall" which can be seen on the left side of the photograph. A new 14 room school, to house all grades from elementary through high school, was completed in 1917-18 atop "Monument Hill" at the east end of Center Street. Later school buildings followed over the
The Academy Bell Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, May 17, 2016
2. The Academy Bell Marker
decades.

For many years after the Academy was torn down, the Bell was stored away, forgotten, then rediscovered. In 2004, as an Eagle Scout project, Landon Casebolt erected the pedestal on which the bell stands here for you to reflect on things that made this town what it is today.
 
Erected by Kanab Heritage and Preservation Board.
 
Location. 37° 2.899′ N, 112° 31.728′ W. Marker is in Kanab, Utah, in Kane County. Marker is at the intersection of West Center Street and North Main Street, on the right when traveling west on West Center Street. Click for map. Marker is on the northwest corner. Marker is in this post office area: Kanab UT 84741, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Kanab Chapel (here, next to this marker); Kanab Public Square (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named The Academy Bell (here, next to this marker but has been reported missing); Bob Hoy (within shouting distance of this marker); Ted Markland (within shouting distance of this marker); Don Collier (within shouting distance of this marker); Robert Taylor (within shouting distance of this marker); Peggie Castle (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Kanab.
 
Also see . . .  History of Kanab. (Submitted on May 31, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.)
 
Categories. EducationSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 233 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement