Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dadeville in Tallapoosa County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Fletcher Napoleon Farrington, Sr.

1902 - 1968

 

—County Agent and Civic Leader —

 
Fletcher Napoleon Farrington, Sr. Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 7, 2016
1. Fletcher Napoleon Farrington, Sr. Marker
Inscription.
Fletcher Farrington, after graduating from the Alabama Polytechnic Institute (now Auburn University), came to Tallapoosa County as a county agent for the Agricultural Extension Service in 1932. Concluding that soil erosion was the local farmers most pressing problem, he launched a cooperative program that loaned small farmers the large tractors needed to introduce the newly developed "Nichols terrace" method of plowing hillside cropland. With the support of the county judge and commissioners, the program was widely emulated as an effective soil conservation tool during the Great Depression.

In 1934, Farrington organized the Dadeville Kiwanis Club and served as its first president. As county agricultural agent and Dadeville community leader, he embraced the idea of "Farm-City Week," a program that brought agricultural and business leaders together to share ideas. Soon after it was introduced to and adopted by Kiwanis International in 1955, Farrington became one of the program's national spokesmen. He retired from the Extension Service in 1961 and began working for the Alabama Farm Bureau's Rural Urban Relations Division. There, he initiated the Agribusiness Career Day program to encourage youth to stay in farming as a business.
 
Erected 2015 by Alabama Historical Association
Marker in front of Chambers-Tallapoosa-Coosa Community Action Committee office. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 7, 2016
2. Marker in front of Chambers-Tallapoosa-Coosa Community Action Committee office.
.
 
Location. 32° 49.791′ N, 85° 45.827′ W. Marker is in Dadeville, Alabama, in Tallapoosa County. Marker is at the intersection of South Broadnax Street and Eufalla Street, on the right when traveling south on South Broadnax Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 170 South Broadnax Street, Dadeville AL 36853, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Baptist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Alabama Mills WWII Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tallapoosa County Peace Officers (about 400 feet away); Tallapoosa County World War I Memorial (about 500 feet away); Tallapoosa County World War II Memorial (about 500 feet away); Battle Of Horseshoe Bend (about 500 feet away); Tallapoosa County Korean & Vietnam War Memorial (about 500 feet away); Johnson J. Hooper (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Dadeville.
 
Also see . . .  The Alexander City Outlook story on marker dedication. (Submitted on June 9, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. AgricultureFraternal or Sororal OrganizationsNotable Persons
 
View of marker near corner of South Broadnax and Eufalla Streets. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 7, 2016
3. View of marker near corner of South Broadnax and Eufalla Streets.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 195 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement