Near Lueders in Shackelford County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Big Country Baptist Assembly
In 1923, 31.6 acres were purchased from S. Webb and L.H. Hill who were land developers of the town of Lueders. On July 14-23, 1925, some 10,000 campers pitched tents there for a time of Christian fellowship. Many believe that the Big Country Baptist Assembly is an original type of Christian camp now known as “Christian youth camp.” Five associations made up of 168 churches of the Southern Baptist Convention presently own the Big Country Baptist Assembly.
The site celebrated its 100-year anniversary in 1998. The campgrounds have changed drastically since the late 1800s as rope swings, swimming in the river and sack races have been replaced by a pool, zip line and many other activities. Tents and cots have been replaced by three bunkhouses, motel-type facilities and a dining hall. Many past
Erected 2014 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17914.)
Location. 32° 47.883′ N, 99° 36.307′ W. Marker is near Lueders, Texas, in Shackelford County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 142 0.1 miles north of State Highway 6, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lueders TX 79533, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lueders Cemetery (approx. 2 miles away); 8.6 Miles South to Fort Phantom Hill (approx. 4.3 miles away but has been reported missing); Bud Matthews Switch of the Texas Central Railway (approx. 6.7 miles away); Butterfield Overland Mail (approx. 6.7 miles away); Bethel Lutheran Church (approx. 7.2 miles away); Swan's Chapel Spring Creek Cemetery (approx. 9.5 miles away); Arledge Field (approx. 10.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Lueders.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 181 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.