Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Old Glory in Stonewall County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Old Glory

 
 
Old Glory Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 7, 2016
1. Old Glory Marker
Inscription. Stonewall County was created in 1876 by the state legislature, but the area was only sparsely settled by cattle ranchers before the turn of the century. About 1900 a number of German families who had been living in southeast Texas relocated to this vicinity and settled along the Double Mountain Fork of the Brazos River. They bought land and started farming, often living in half-dugout structures until lumber could be brought in to build houses and barns.
†††††In 1903 G.R. Spielhagen laid out a townsite (2 mi. SE) and named it Brandenburg after a town in Germany. When the railroad was built through the area in 1908-09, bypassing the small community, the town relocated to this site along the rail line and became known as New Brandenburg.
†††††The community grew rapidly and soon boasted a post office, school, cotton gin, stores, and homes. At the outbreak of World War I, the citizens petitioned the U.S. Postal Service to change the name of the town to demonstrate their patriotism and pride in their adopted country. On August 9, 1918, the name officially changed to Old Glory. Although the town has declined, many descendants of pioneer settlers continue to reside in the area.
 
Erected 1990 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3736.)
 
Location.
Old Glory Marker at Base of Flagpole image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 7, 2016
2. Old Glory Marker at Base of Flagpole
33° 7.807′ N, 100° 3.284′ W. Marker is in Old Glory, Texas, in Stonewall County. Marker is at the intersection of Loop Texas Route 128 and Farm to Market Road 1835, on the right when traveling west on State Route 128. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Old Glory TX 79540, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Mackenzie Trail (approx. 3.6 miles away); Stonewall County Veterans Memorial (approx. 10.1 miles away); Stonewall County (approx. 10.1 miles away); County Named for Confederate Hero / Texas in the Civil War (approx. 10.1 miles away); Stonewall County Servicemen Honor Roll (approx. 10.1 miles away); "Our Lady of Justice" (approx. 10.1 miles away); Texas Vietnam Veterans Memorial Highway (approx. 11.1 miles away); Rath City (approx. 11.1 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. Old Glory, TX. From the Texas State Historical Associationís “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on June 10, 2016.) 

2. A Short History of Old Glory. From The Portal to Texas History website, a 166-page collection of essays about the history of Old Glory and the surrounding area. (Submitted on June 10, 2016.) 
 
Categories. Patriots & PatriotismRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers
 
Intersection of State Highway 128 Loop<br>and Farm-to-Market Road 1835 image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 7, 2016
3. Intersection of State Highway 128 Loop
and Farm-to-Market Road 1835
Marker at northwest corner of intersection
Patriotic Building in Old Glory image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 7, 2016
4. Patriotic Building in Old Glory
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 306 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 19, 2016.
Paid Advertisement