Hampton in Henry County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Locomotive Bell from the Nancy Hanks
“The Pride Of The Central Of Georgia Railroad”
Like the later Nancy Hanks II, the first Nancy Hanks ran between Atlanta and Savannah. In two back-to-back incarnations, it ran for only ten months. It was named after the race horse by the same name that set a speed record for trotters in 1892. The horse had been named for Abraham Lincoln’s mother.
The days of this splendid train were soon to be numbered. The Nancy Hanks had two bad wrecks before it was to be abandoned in August of 1893. One occurred at the old Gate City Oil Mill between Hapeville and East Point, Georgia. E.T. Landers, former Hapeville station agent, described the wreck in his book, entitled the Choo Choo. “On this occasion, the Nancy left Atlanta about 40 minutes late. It was a clear summer day, and Engineer Ed Waterhouse
Upon his recovery, Ed Waterhouse continued his railroading career for more than twenty years. A family picture, taken in about 1915, show him as a handsome and distinguished-looking gentleman with a white beard, allegedly grown to cover scars received in the accident of 1893.
He retired in 1915, about two years before he died of heart failure. He was laid to rest in beautiful Rose Hill Cemetery in Macon.
The passing of the Nancy Hanks, and its engineer, Ed Waterhouse, marked the passing of exciting bygone years on Georgia’s railroads.
(upper left) Ed Waterhouse in 1915
(lower left) Fabled namesake of the locomotive
(lower right) The “Nancy”
Location. 33° 27.516′ N, 84° 17.436′ W. Marker is in Hampton, Georgia, in Henry County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Jonesboro Road and Babbs Mill Road, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. The marker is located at the Nash Farm Battlefield Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4361 Jonesboro Rd, Hampton GA 30228, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. "The Old Bronze Gentleman of Lovejoy's Station" (within shouting distance of this marker); The "Right Flank" on the McDonough Road (within shouting distance of this marker); Kilpatrick's Raid at the Nash Farm (within shouting distance of this marker); Kilpatrick's Raid (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Crawford-Dorsey House (approx. 1.3 miles away); Cavalry Action at Lovejoy's Station (approx. 2.1 miles away); Constantine Memorial (approx. 2.5 miles away); Clayton County (approx. 5.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Hampton.
Also see . . . Nash Farm Battlefield. (Submitted on November 12, 2013.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 422 times since then and 25 times this year. Last updated on , by Luke Landers of Dothan, Alabama. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.