Cheyenne in Laramie County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
The Military 1867-1890
Cheyenne Depot - Camp Carlin
The Cheyenne Depot was a major strategic facility for the Army in its campaigns to protect settlers from attacks by Indians during the 1870's and 1880's. During this period it was the second largest depot in the United States, staffed with 1,000 to 1,200 civilians and perhaps 100 military personnel. Included were freighters (bull whackers, mule skinners, teamsters, and packers), blacksmiths,
The primary mission of the Depot was to supply 12 other military posts located within 400 miles (all of what could become Wyoming, most of Colorado, and parts of Nebraska, Utah, Idaho, and Montana). Within this same area, the Depot was also responsible for providing "annuity goods" (flour, beans, rice, bacon, salt pork, baking powder, calico for dresses, cloth for shirts, bales of blankets, tobacco and tread) to various Indian tribes based on their treaties. Some of the treaties called for more than $50,000 in goods delivered to the tribes each year. By 1885 most of the Forts were no longer needed because many of the Indian Tribes has been moved to Reservations in Montana, Oklahoma, and the Dakotas where there were other sources of supply.
The Union Pacific Railroad ran a two-mile spur from their main line to the Depot, delivering equipment and supplies from the east and west coasts. From the Depot these were transported over land via wagon and mule trains. At first only mules were used until roads and bridges could be built to support heavy wagons. One such road, the Twin Mountain Wagon Route, passes through what is now the Belvoir Ranch just west of the City. It ran from the
At its peak Camp Carlin had 16 warehouses, 100 wagons, five pack trains, and 1,000-2,500 mules. The Camp remained in operation until 1890 when it was decommissioned and most of its buildings torn down. Several remained in the early 1900s but by 1909 all were gone. Today, nothing remains of the Cheyenne Depot. A historical marker for the camp is located on the north side of Happy Jack Road just west of the Missile Drive ad I-25 interchange.
Erected by City of Cheyenne, Cheyenne Historic Historic Preservation Board, Cheyenne Area Convention and Visitors Board, Wyoming Cultural Trust Fund and Preserve America.
Location. 41° 8.72′ N, 104° 50.194′ W. Marker is in Cheyenne, Wyoming, in Laramie County. Marker is at the intersection of Randall Avenue and McComb Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Randall Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1399 Randall Ave, Cheyenne WY 82001, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "Buffalo Soldiers" (here, next to this marker); The Military 1867-1949 (a few steps from this marker); The Military 1949-Present (a few steps from this marker); 1980 Capitol North National Historic District (approx. ¾ mile away); Early Cheyenne Reservoir (approx. 0.8 miles away); Camp Carlin (approx. 0.8 miles away); Cheyenne Frontier Days™ (Part I) (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Trails (Part III) (approx. 0.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Cheyenne.
More about this marker. This marker is in a small triangular park bounded by Randall and McComb Avenues and West 32nd Street.
Also see . . . Camp Carlin - American History and Genealogy Project. It was the second largest depot in the United States Army, and was something of a marvel to the frontiersmen, mountain men and trappers who came in to this outpost of the greater world. The camp had sixteen large warehouses, in addition to blacksmith shops, wheelwright shops, carpenter shops, saddle and harness shops, sales stores, cook and bunk houses, wagon sheds, stables and corrals. (Submitted on June 13, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 163 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.