“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Winters in Runnels County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

St. John's Lutheran Church

St. John's Lutheran Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 8, 2016
1. St. John's Lutheran Church Marker
Inscription. Fritz Armbrecht, accompanied by his friend August Spill, Sr., was reportedly the first Lutheran to arrive in this area. The men came from Comal County in the 1880s and bought property, bringing their families here in 1890. Armbrecht’s land included the present site of the city of Winters; in 1892, he sold 100 acres for the city center and later donated two acres for use as a cemetery.
     As more Lutheran families arrived, the time was right to organize a church. The Mission Board of the Texas Synod of the Lutheran Church sent missionaries to lead services held in homes and schools. Families dedicated a sanctuary in the downtown Winters area in October 1904 and formally organized on November 6 of that year as St. John’s Lutheran Church. Members learned the railroad line would run adjacent to their property when it arrived in 1909, so they built a new sanctuary on the west side of town. Facilities have expanded over the years and include the present sanctuary, constructed in 1930. The congregation grew, and its members participated actively in Winters’ development and social activities. Many parishioners operated local businesses, and others entertained the community with their musical talents.
     Although church members served in the U.S. Armed Forces, local anti-German sentiment during the First World War led to the congregation
Entrance to St. John's Lutheran Church image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 8, 2016
2. Entrance to St. John's Lutheran Church
minimizing its services, which were held in German; relations slowly mended following the war. During the Second World War, congregation members maintained their visible and patriotic role in support of U.S. involvement overseas.
     St. John’s members continue to serve their local and global communities. The church remains a spiritual home for many in the Winters area.
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13307.)
Location. 31° 57.561′ N, 99° 58.505′ W. Marker is in Winters, Texas, in Runnels County. Marker is at the intersection of W. Parsonage Street and N. West Street, on the right when traveling west on W. Parsonage Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Winters TX 79567, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rock Hotel (approx. 0.6 miles away); Winters State Bank (approx. 0.7 miles away); Winters (approx. ¾ mile away); Winters Public Library (approx. ¾ mile away); Blue Gap Post Office (approx. ¾ mile away); Winters Lodge No. 743, A.F. & A.M. (approx. ¾ mile away); Old Cotton Oil Mill (approx. ¾ mile away); Robert Cooke, M.D. (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Winters.
Categories. Churches, Etc.Patriots & PatriotismSettlements & Settlers
St. John's Lutheran Church image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 8, 2016
3. St. John's Lutheran Church
View to north across W. Parsonage Street
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 93 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 19, 2016.
Paid Advertisement