Victoria in Victoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
1892 Victoria County Courthouse
In 1891, under leadership of county judge J.L. Dupree, commissioners held a competition for new courthouse plans. They awarded the contract to the San Antonio firm of Gordon & Laub, comprised of acclaimed courthouse architect J. Riely Gordon and D.E. Laub. Martin, Byrne & Johnston served as general contractors. Due to Gordon's many pressing commitments, he was discharged in May 1892. The Commissioners Court relied solely on Martin, Byrne & Johnston, who added elements to Gordon's design. Their work was approved by Eugene T. Heiner, himself a noted architect, and the county accepted the completed building on January 1, 1893.
As was his style, Gordon designed a courthouse reflecting the Romanesque Revival architecture of architect Henry Hobson Richardson. He adapted Richardson's ideas to the Texas climate, providing a central atrium to bring light and ventilation into the building, which features a hipped roof with cross gables, corner pinnacles and polychromatic
When the need for more space arose in 1961, residents petitioned to save the courthouse, and the county built new facilities on the northeast corner of the square. Work at the turn of the 21st century largely restored the courthouse to its original design.
Erected 1961 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6576.)
Location. 28° 47.979′ N, 97° 0.427′ W. Marker is in Victoria, Texas, in Victoria County. Marker is at the intersection of North Bridge Street and West Constitution Street, on the left when traveling north on North Bridge Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 115 N Bridge St, Victoria TX 77901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. De Leon Plaza (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Home of Empresario Martín de León (approx. 0.2 miles away); Regan House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Guadalupe River (approx. half a mile away); Fernando de Leon (approx. 0.8 miles away); Doña Patricia de la Garza de Leon (approx. 0.8 miles away); Silvestre de Leon (approx. 0.8 miles away); Don Martin de León (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Victoria.
Categories. • Architecture •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 142 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on October 20, 2016.