Hallettsville in Lavaca County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
County Seat, Lavaca County
Named for Mrs. Margaret Hallett, widow of John Hallett, a member of Austin's colony and a veteran of San Jacinto, who donated the town site.
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 2340.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 29° 26.548′ N, 96° 56.255′ W. Marker is in Hallettsville, Texas, in Lavaca County. Marker can be reached from S Dowling St south of East 5th Street, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in Halletsville Memorial Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 315 South Dowling Street, Hallettsville TX 77964, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hallettsville Memorial Park (within shouting distance of this marker); The Wreck of the Don Milo (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Hanging Tree (approx. 0.9 miles away); William Smothers (approx. 1.9 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Hallettsville article in Handbook of Texas Online. (Submitted on June 21, 2016, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.)
2. Margaret Leatherbury Hallett article in Handbook of Texas Online. (Submitted on June 21, 2016, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 258 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 22, 2016.