Bass Harbor Head Light
In the nineteenth century, the waters near this light station bustled with merchant ships, fishing vessels and schooners, which carried granite, fish, lumber and lyme to distant ports, or bought goods from around the world back to Maine.
Many of the islands you see were once inhabited by people who made their living from the surrounding sea. By 1860, nearly one in five Maine residents was a mariner. Today, Swans Island is the only island in view with a year-around population.
As ships and commerce have changed, the light station has been automated, but never darkened.
(Inscription in the box on the right)
Bass Harbor Head Light 44 13.3N, 68 20.3W-built 1858-Height: 56 feet above mean high water-Maximum visibility: 13 nautical miles-Light: red occulting—4 seconds on, 1 second off-Lens: 4th Order Fresnel Classical-Automated: 1974. The light is maintained by the U.S. Coast Guard. The small building east of the lighthouse was built in 1897, and housed the fog signal. The keeper’s quarters is a U.S. Coast Guard residence. Neither the lighthouse nor the quarters are open to the public.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A Stedfast Light (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Bass Harbor Head Light (within shouting distance of this marker); Joseph T. Musetti Jr. Veterans Memorial Park (approx. 5.6 miles away); Somes Sound (approx. 6.8 miles away); Gateway to Acadia (approx. 7.9 miles away); Glacial Freight (approx. 9.1 miles away); Alessandro Fabbri, Lieutenant, U.S.N.R.F. (approx. 9.5 miles away); Linking oceans, rivers and lakes (approx. 9.7 miles away).
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 77 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 27, 2016.