Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Sandy Springs

 
 
The Sandy Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 14, 2004
1. The Sandy Springs Marker
Inscription. This community is named for the natural springs bubbling up through clear white sand in the meadow below. The Springs were a Cherokee and Creek Indian campsite which became the property of the orphans of John Medows of Henry County in the 1821 Land Lottery. Wilson Spruill purchased the property in 1842. He and his neighbors built a log cabin church on the ridge above in 1848 and Methodist camp meetings were held here for over 100 years. The Springs also served as a resting point along a significant southeastern migration route. The Williams-Payne farmhouse (circa 1869) was moved to the Springs site in 1985.
 
Erected by Sandy Springs Historic Community Foundation, Inc.
 
Location. 33° 55.35′ N, 84° 22.983′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is on Sandy Springs Circle near Hildebrand Drive NE, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30328, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The History of the City of Sandy Springs, Georgia (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sandy Springs United Methodist Church Historic Cemetery (about
The Sandy Springs image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 26, 2008
2. The Sandy Springs
600 feet away); Gen. J. D. Cox's Div. To Old Cross Keys (approx. 0.4 miles away); 23d A.C. to Decatur (approx. 0.6 miles away); To Sandy Springs and Old Cross Keys (approx. 0.9 miles away); Hascall's Div. Joins Cox's Line of March (approx. 1.8 miles away); Garrard & Newton Move on Roswell (approx. 2.1 miles away); Hascallís Div. Camped (approx. 2.2 miles away).
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USChurches, Etc.Native AmericansNotable PlacesPolitical Subdivisions
 
The Williams-Payne Farmhouse seen from The Sandy Springs image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 26, 2008
3. The Williams-Payne Farmhouse seen from The Sandy Springs
The Williams-Payne Farmhouse image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, March 20, 2000
4. The Williams-Payne Farmhouse
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,611 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   4. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement