The original site of the light was a sand bluff. Neglect during the war years and the subsequent failure of a retaining wall in 1867 caused the tower to lean two feet off center. In danger of toppling into the Mississippi Sound, the tower was righted by excavating under the north side. Also heavily rusted the tower was given a coating of black coal tar, thus giving rise to a popular local myth that the community had painted the structure black to mourn the death of Lincoln. The lighthouse was repainted white.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 30° 23.656′ N, 88° 54.074′ W. Marker was in Biloxi, Mississippi, in Harrison County. Marker was at the intersection of U.S. 90 and Porter Avenue on U.S. 90. Click for map. Marker was in this post office area: Biloxi MS 39530, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 117 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on July 4, 2016.