Mary Ann “Mother” Bickerdyke: A Kansas Legend
Russell County Heritage Marker
Mary Ann Ball was born near Mount Vernon, Ohio in 1817. She married Robert Bickerdyke in 1847 and they moved to Galesburg, Illinois.
At the outbreak of the Civil War the residents of Galesburg purchased medical supplies worth $500 for soldiers serving at Cairo, Illinois. Mary offered to deliver the money. In Cairo Mary used the supplies to establish a hospital for the soldiers. She spent the remainder of the war traveling with various Union armies, establishing more than 300 field hospitals to assist sick and wounded soldiers. Mary commonly risked her own life during battles while searching for wounded soldiers. Once darkness fell she would carry a lantern into the disputed area between the two competing armies and retrieve wounded soldiers.
Both Generals Ulysses S. Grant and William T. Sherman admired Bickerdyke for her bravery and for her deep concern for soldiers. To assist the soldiers, Mary gave numerous speeches across the North, describing the difficult conditions that soldiers experienced and solicited contributions. The soldiers nicknamed her "Mother Bickerdyke" because of her continuing concern for them.
Following the war's end in 1865 Mary worked for the Salvation Army in San Francisco, California, and became an attorney dedicated to helping Civil War veterans with legal issues. She then cared for wounded soldiers
In Russell, Kansas, Mary lived with her son James on the northwest corner of 7th and Lincoln Streets from 1888 to 1894. James served as Superintendent of Schools during that period. During the time Mary lived in Russell she made daily rounds to visit and advocate for the personal needs of the homebound and sick veterans, "her boys" who needed nursing care. One veteran from San Francisco came to live in Mary's home to be nursed by "Mother" until his death from cancer. He lies buried in the Russell Cemetery.
In Bunker Hill Mary lived with her son James from July of 1877 to December of 1888, and again from 1896 until her death. James Bickerdyke passed away in 1904 and is buried in the cemetery at Bunker Hill. In 1962 the new Bickerdyke Elementary School in Russell was named in his honor.
The first residence
Shortly before Mary's death Galesburg, Illinois Post No. 45 of [the] Grand Army of the Republic (G.A.R.) asked her for the honor to conduct her funeral and burial service when that time came, to which she agreed. When Mary Ann Bickerdyke passed away on November 8, 1901, at the age of 84 years, memorial services were first conducted by the G.A.R. Post in Bunker Hill, as the G.A.R. members of Kansas felt that she was one of their own since Mary had lived in the state for 34 years. Her remains were then shipped to Galesburg by rail accompanied by her son, two members of the Bunker Hill G.A.R. Post, and a large flag contributed by the Post. The funeral was held in the Central Congregational Church, of which Mary had been a member when she lived in Galesburg. She was laid to rest in the Linwood Cemetery beside her husband Robert and infant daughter Martha. On May 22, 1906, a bronze monument to Mother Bickerdyke's memory was unveiled before an estimated crowd of 8,000 on the grounds of the county courthouse in Galesburg.
In 2010 Mary was accorded the honor of being a finalist in the 8 Wonders of Kansas People contest sponsored by the Kansas Sampler Foundation.
The Mother Bickerdyke Museum in Bunker Hill was once the Lutheran Church where James and Mary worshiped. It houses many historic articles about their lives.
Erected 2011 by Russell County Convention & Visitors Bureau.
Location. 38° 52.43′ N, 98° 42.212′ W. Marker is in Bunker Hill, Kansas, in Russell County. Marker is at the intersection of 6th Street and Washington Street, on the right when traveling east on 6th Street. Click for map. Marker is in front of the former Lutheran church, now a museum with limited open hours. Marker is in this post office area: Bunker Hill KS 67626, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dinner Bell and Stone Post from the William Garrett Ranch in the 1890's (here, next to this marker); Hitching Post From The John J. Gross Homestead (a few steps from this marker); Civil War Memorial (approx. 7.2 miles away); Alexander McKeefer and John Lynch (approx. 7.2 miles away); The Arrival of the Railroad (approx. 7.5 miles away); Russell County Veterans Memorial (approx. 7.6 miles away); The Freedom Tree (approx. 7.6 miles away); Kansas Street (approx. 8.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Bunker Hill.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. Mary A. "Mother" Bickerdyke at Kansapedia. (Submitted on June 29, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Mary Ann Bickerdyke at Ohio History Central. (Submitted on June 29, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Mary Ann "Mother" Bickerdyke at Nursing Theory. (Submitted on June 29, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
4. The Mother Bickerdyke Monument at Galesburg, Illinois. (Submitted on June 29, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 218 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 30, 2016.