Williamsport in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Fort Sumter hero, Major Abner Doubleday arrived in June 1861 and ordered the placement of three siege guns, and construction of an ammunition storage bunker and other fortifications on the hill overlooking the town and river. Even though Doubleday was transferred to Harpers Ferry a few weeks later, his name is still associated with the hill.
[text with upper right photo]Abner Doubleday (erroneously credited with invention of baseball) in 1862 as a Brigadier General.
[text with lower right photo]The fortifications on Doubleday Hill were recreated in the late 19th Century, as seen in this photograph.
[text with lower left photo]General Banks' Union army crossing the Potomac at Williamsport in June 1862. Note the cannon on Doubleday Hill in the background.
Erected by Williamsport Rotary Club.
Location. 39° 35.934′ N, 77° 49.52′ W. Marker Click for map. Marker is at the top of Doubleday Hill, within the cemetery grounds. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsport MD 21795, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Light's Ford and Lemen's Ferry (here, next to this marker); Abner Doubleday (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Doubleday Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); The C&O Canal in the Civil War at Williamsport (within shouting distance of this marker); River View Cemetery (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Boats Passing By (about 400 feet away); The Bowie List (about 600 feet away); Welcome to Williamsport (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Williamsport.
More about this marker. This is a nearly identical marker, missing only one photo, of the Doubleday Hill marker at the base of Doubleday Hill.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 148 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 30, 2016.