Ticonderoga in Essex County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
“The Black Watch”
The Saint Andrews Society of Glens Falls, N.Y. erected this tablet to commemorate the heroic gallantry of the 42d Regiment of Foot better known as “The Royal Highlanders” of “The Black Watch” who on July 8, 1758 lost here in killed and wounded over six hundred of the thousand men engaged.
Erected 1925 by Saint Andrews Society of Glens Falls, N.Y.
Location. 43° 50.923′ N, 73° 23.958′ W. Marker is in Ticonderoga, New York, in Essex County. Marker is on Sandy Redoubt, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is located on the entrance road to Fort Ticonderoga. Marker is in this post office area: Ticonderoga NY 12883, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. George Augustus Viscount Howe (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonial Battles Fought in this Vicinity (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gen. Henry Knox Trail The Carillon Battlefield (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named “The Black Watch” (approx. 0.3 miles away); The French Lines (approx. 0.3 miles away); Near this spot stood Montcalm (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hut Sites (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Ticonderoga.
Also see . . .
1. Fort Ticonderoga National Historic Landmark. (Submitted on July 26, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. History of the Black Watch 1745-1800. The Black Watch Official Website. (Submitted on July 26, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Military • Notable Events • War, French and Indian •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,828 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on October 17, 2016.