During the American Revolution, local militia raided the mills, at the time controlled by Loyalist owners, and hauled off large quantities of supplies including iron and over 5,000 pounds of meat, The mills were later put under guard by the militia to prevent any similar British attacks.
After the Revolution, the mill seat was used as a saw mill, paper and grist mill, and by the 1850s, snuff manufacturing.
Operations ceased by the 1920s
Grant funding has been provided by the Middlesex County Cultural and Heritage Commission, Middlesex County Board of Chosen Freeholders through a grant provided by New Jersey Historical Commission, a Division of Dept. of State
Erected by Middlesex County Cultural and Heritage Commission.
Location. 40° 23.393′ N, 74° 23.375′ W. Marker is in Spotswood, New Jersey, in Middlesex County
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Peter's Episcopal Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); General George Washington (approx. 0.6 miles away); Spotswood’s 1832 Camden & Amboy Railroad Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away); Borough of Helmetta (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Appleby Devoe Memorial Library (approx. 2.2 miles away); Basilone Memorial Bridge (approx. 3.4 miles away); L.J. Smith Farmhouse (approx. 3.6 miles away); Vail Family (approx. 3.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Spotswood.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Stephen Kokoska of North Brunswick, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 140 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Stephen Kokoska of North Brunswick, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on July 12, 2016.