Downieville in Sierra County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
First Protestant Church
Erected 1950 by California Centennials Commission. Base provided by Naomi Parlor No. 36 Native Daughters and Downieville Parlor No. 92, Native Sons of the Golden West.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 39° 33.536′ N, 120° 49.642′ W. Marker is in Downieville, California, in Sierra County. Marker is on Commercial Street (California Route 49), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Heading up the Yuba River on Highway 49, the church is just a little past the one lane bridge before the road swings to the east. Marker is at or near this postal address: 343 Commercial Street, Downieville CA 95936, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Masonic Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); In Memory of Juanita (about 400 feet away); Craycroft Building (about 500 feet away); The Shooting of Thaddeus Purdy St. Charles Hotel (about 600 feet away); Downieville (about 600 feet away); Mackerman & Company Building (about 600 feet away); Downieville Museum (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Downieville.
More about this marker. The monument is to the right of the steps. This marker is interesting as it was placed by State Parks but it is not a registered California Historical Landmark. It was placed, rather, as part of the California Centennial celebration.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by James King of San Miguel, California. This page has been viewed 78 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by James King of San Miguel, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on July 14, 2016.