Oroville in Butte County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
1853 – 1856
Argonaut Parlor No. 8
Native Sons of the Golden West
Butte County Board of Supervisors
To designate the site of the second
county seat of Butte County
1853 – 1856
Site of the Court House was 120 yds west
of this point. Marked by small monument.
(Second, smaller marker placed below) Original site of this monument one mile north-east, rededicated June 6, 1981 by Argonaut Parlor No. 8 Native Sons of the Golden West
Erected 1918 by Native Sons of the Golden West, Agronaut Parlor No. 8. (Marker Number CHL 330.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 39° 32.255′ N, 121° 27.29′ W. Marker is in Oroville, California, in Butte County. Marker is on Bidwell Canyon Road. Click for map. This marker is located in the parking lot of the Bidwell Bar Boat Launch at the end of Bidwell Canyon Road. Marker is in this post office area: Oroville CA 95966, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Mother Orange Tree of Butte County (here, next to this marker); Bidwell Bar Bridge and Tollhouse Autumn Harvest (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named Mother Orange Tree of Butte County (approx. 3.2 miles away); Northern California's Oldest Citrus Tree (approx. 3.2 miles away); Long's Bar (approx. 3.7 miles away); Morris Ravine School (approx. 3.9 miles away); The Last Yahi Indian (approx. 3.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Oroville.
More about this marker. This marker has been relocated from its original placement at Bidwell Bar which has been inundated by Lake Oroville.
Although dated 1917, the Grizzly Bear magazine indicates that the monument was erected, at best, in December of that year. Page 5 of the December 1917 edition only mentions that the correct dates had been determined. Completion was not recorded until March 1918 (p5) and the June 1918 edition (p17) records the dedication date as May 5, 1918.
Also see . . . History of Bidwell - Bidwell The Town. In 1848, John Bidwell discovered gold at a site on the Middle Fork of (Submitted on December 5, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 353 times since then and 94 times this year. Last updated on , by James King of San Miguel, California. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. 4. submitted on , by James King of San Miguel, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on July 14, 2016.