Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Georgetown in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Dumbarton House

Headquarters of the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America

 

—Georgetown Historic District —

 
Dumbarton House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, June 27, 2010
1. Dumbarton House Marker
Inscription. The site was part of a tract called “The Rock of Dumbarton” patented 1703 by Ninian Beall. The house was probably started 1799 by Samuel Jackson. It was completed 1805 by Joseph Nourse, first Registrar of the Treasury. He sold the property 1813 to Charles Carroll who named it “Bellevue.” Purchased by this Society 1928, it was restored to the early Federal period, renamed; and opened to the public 1932. The house formerly blocked Q Street and was moved to its present location, 1915.
 
Erected 1951 by National Society of Colonial Dames of America in the District of Columbia.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Society of Colonial Dames of America marker series.
 
Location. 38° 54.638′ N, 77° 3.353′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is on Q Street, NW east of 28th Street, NW, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is off the sidewalk on the brick at the west side of the building's main entrance gateway - mid-way between 27th and 28th Streets. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2715 Q Street, NW, Washington DC 20007, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Georgetown Refuge (within shouting
Dumbarton House image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, July 11, 2010
2. Dumbarton House
- marker visible on left.
distance of this marker); Evermay (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Margaret Peters and Roumania Peters Walker (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lillie Mackall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mt. Zion United Methodist Church Parsonage (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Baptist Church, Georgetown (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mount Zion United Methodist Church and Heritage Center, and the Female Union Band Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dr. Philip Jaisohn, 1864-1951 (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Georgetown.
 
Also see . . .  Dumbarton House. (Submitted on July 31, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
 
Additional keywords. U.S. Constitution Bicentinnial.
 
Categories. Fraternal or Sororal OrganizationsNotable BuildingsPatriots & PatriotismWar, US Revolutionary
 
U.S. Constitution 150th Anniversary Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, July 8, 2010
3. U.S. Constitution 150th Anniversary Plaque
"Erected by the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in Grateful Commemoration of the Signing of the Constitution, 1787-1937, by the following delegates in Philadelphia, September 17, 1787: ... [lists of delegates and officers]" on the wall, east side of gateway.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 828 times since then and 3 times this year. Last updated on , by Jaclyn Brown of Washington, District of Columbia. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on July 19, 2016.
Paid Advertisement