During the British occupation of New Brunswick in 1776-77, the settlement at Raritan Landing was looted and burned. Commerce returned after the Revolutionary War but shipping was hampered by water too shallow for large sailing vessels and by the coming of steamboats in 1807 to New Brunswick, where the water was deeper. Completion of the Delaware
The Low House (Ivy Hall) was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971; the Metlar-Bodine House was listed in 1973. in 1978, Landing Lane was designated a State and National Archeological District.
Erected 1995 by Piscataway Historic and Heritage Society and the Piscataway Historic Preservation Advisory Commission.
Location. 40° 30.682′ N, 74° 27.892′ W. Marker is in Piscataway, New Jersey, in Middlesex County. Marker is on Johnson Drive 0.1 miles west of Landing Lane and Johnson Drive, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Located near Grove 6 in Johnson Park. Marker is in this post office area: Piscataway NJ 08854, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 1895 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Buccleuch (approx. half a mile away); Buccleuch Mansion (approx. half a mile away); New Brunswick Sailors (approx. 0.7 miles away); Cuban Howitzer (approx. 0.7 miles away); On This High Ground (approx. 1.1 miles away); Queen’s College (approx. 1.3 miles away); Men of Rutgers College (approx. 1.3 miles away).
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Stephen Kokoska of North Brunswick, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 82 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Stephen Kokoska of North Brunswick, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on July 14, 2016.