Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lander in Fremont County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
 

IOOF Building - Golden Rule Store

1886

 

—Forge Bar & Grill —

 
IOOF Building - Golden Rule Store Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, May 30, 2016
1. IOOF Building - Golden Rule Store Marker
Inscription. In 1886, the social society, the International Order of Odd Fellows, funded the construction of this brick building.  The Odd Fellows held their meeting upstairs which was reported as handsomely furnished, and was supplied with “electric lighting appliances.”
 
Erected by Fremont County Museum.
 
Location. 42° 49.972′ N, 108° 43.757′ W. Marker is in Lander, Wyoming, in Fremont County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 287) near North 2nd Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 202 Main Street, Lander WY 82520, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Palace Pharmacy, Albany Hotel, US Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Main Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Lander Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Bossert Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fremont Hotel (about 400 feet away); Lander's Mill (about 400 feet away); Noble Hotel (about 400 feet away); M.N Baldwin Co. (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Lander.
 
Also see . . .  IOOF Building - Golden Rule Store - Fremont County Museum
IOOF Building - Golden Rule Store Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, May 30, 2016
2. IOOF Building - Golden Rule Store Marker
The marker is in the window to the right of the entrance.
. Scroll down the page and consult the Lander Walking Tour map, clicking on the item of interest.
One of the earliest businesses to use the ground floor was James I. Patten’s drug store. In 1887 the Fremont Clipper newspaper reported the owner carried “an immense stock of drugs, toilet articles and druggist sundries.” “An efficient pharmacist is at all times found in attendance and prescriptions carefully compounded.” (Submitted on July 18, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.) 
 
Categories. Fraternal or Sororal OrganizationsIndustry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 132 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page was last revised on July 18, 2016.
Paid Advertisement