Fort Davis in Jeff Davis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The First Fort Davis
"We have a fine post now. Things are getting comfortable. We expect to have a fine store, a library, reading room, billiard room and bowling alley."
Albert James Myer, Post Surgeon, 1855
Sketch by Captain Arthur T Lee, who served here from 1854 to 1858. Courtesy Department of Rare Books & Special Collections, University of Rochester Libraries
Fort Davis - 1856 Map from Colonel Joseph K.F. Mansfield's Inspection Report.
1861 sketch of Fort Davis by Morgan W. Merrick, a Confederate soldier. Courtesy Daughter of the Republic of Texas.
Some first Fort Davis foundations are highlighted in yellow on the above illustration. The other structures are part of the second Fort Davis. Notice that the first fort barracks were oriented true north, while the second fort officers quarters were aligned magnetic north.
Erected by National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
Location. 30° 35.861′ N, 103° 53.607′ W. Marker is in Fort Davis, Texas, in Jeff Davis County. Marker can be reached from Lt Henry Flipper Drive 0.4 miles west of State Street (Texas Highway 118), on the right when traveling west. Click for map. This marker is located on the back porch of the second from left historic structure on Officer's Row, the Shared Lieutenant's Quarters (HB-2). Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 Lt Henry Flipper Dr, Fort Davis TX 79734, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Davis (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); San Antonio-El Paso Road (approx. ¼ mile away); St. Joseph Catholic Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hotel Limpia (approx. 0.6 miles away); Union Mercantile (approx. 0.6 miles away); T/SGT. Manuel S. Gonzales (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old Fort Davis CSA (approx. 0.6 miles away); Jeff Davis County Courthouse (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Fort Davis.
Also see . . . Fort Davis National Historic Site. National Park Service. (Submitted on July 26, 2016.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 124 times since then and 27 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on . • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on July 26, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?