Falls Mill Bridge
The previous bridge at this location was a 250 foot long, steel Pennsylvania truss. It was originally built in 1914 by the Pennsylvania Bridge Company and located in Hamilton County. In 1956 it was moved for reuse at this location to carry State Route 664 over the Hocking River. It remained in use until 2006, when it was replaced with a new bridge.
Pennsylvania trusses were developed for use on railroads in the 1870's and featured a polygonal top chord. The Falls Mill Bridge was considered historic as a rare and unique example for highway bridges in Ohio.
Falls Mill Bridge got its name from the adjacent mill that once stood at the lower falls until the 1930's. The mill was built around 1815 by Logan founder and former Ohio Governor, Thomas Worthington.
Erected 2011 by Ohio Department of Transportation.
Location. 39° 32.525′ N, 82° 25.873′ W. Marker is in Logan, Ohio, in Hocking County. Marker is at the intersection of Ohio Route 664 and River Street (County Road 13), on the left when traveling east on State Route 664. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: At Southwest End of Bridge Over Hocking River, Logan OH 43138, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this
Also see . . .
1. "Historic marker tells story of Falls Mill Bridge," Logan Daily News article (2011). (Submitted on July 23, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
2. "Falls Mill Bridge collapses," Logan Daily News article (2006). (Submitted on July 23, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
3. Hocking River OH 664 Bridge Info. (Submitted on July 23, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 97 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on July 23, 2016.