Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Pachalúm, El Quiché, Guatemala
 

Archaeological Park Chuwa Nima’ Ab’aj

 
 
Archeological Park Chuwa Nima’ Ab’aj Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, July 16, 2016
1. Archeological Park Chuwa Nima’ Ab’aj Marker
Inscription.
Parque Arqueológico
Chuwa Nima’ Ab’aj
Frente a la Gran Piedra

Historia
Esta ciudad maya fue la antigua capital de los Chajomá, grupo perteneciente a la etnia Kaqchikel, cuya sede actual es la población de San Martín Jilotepeque. Ningún texto da la fecha exacta de la fundación de Chuwa Nima’Ab’aj, pero una serie de consideraciones arqueológicas, históricas, y científicas nos llevan a la conclusión de que las construcciones más antiguas se remontan a lo sumo al siglo XII de nuestra era (Lehmann 1968).

Durante la conquista española, Pedro de Alvarado ya había sometido una gran parte del territorio de Guatemala cuando llegó a Chuwa Nima’Ab’aj. Para conquistar la ciudad, un pequeño ejercito español se asienta en una llanura llamada “Llano Grande”. La ciudad tenía una entrada secreta conocida como “La Senda Sagrada”, por la cual, Pedro de Alvarado lanzó un asalto con ayuda de 200 guerreros Tlaxcaltecas (México). Pasó más de un mes de combate hasta que finalmente los españoles ingresaron por lo que actualmente se conoce como el grupo F, el cual se unía con la ciudad a través de un puente sobre un foso.

La ciudad fue redescubierta en el año 1896 (360 años después de su conquista), por el alemán Karl Sapper. En 1954 se realizó una investigación
Archaeological Park Chuwa Nima’ Ab’aj Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, July 16, 2016
2. Archaeological Park Chuwa Nima’ Ab’aj Marker
The iconic double temples of Chuwa Nima' Ab'aj.
a cargo de la misión arqueológica franco-guatemalteca encabezada por Hernri Lehmann.

Pie de dibujos:
Fotografía del muro de contención al este Grupo B
Fuente: Lehmann, Henri.

Pirámide del Grupo C1 (Posterior al descombro)
Fuente: Lehmann, Henri.

English translation:
Archeological Park
Chuwa Nima’ Ab’aj
In Front of the Great Stone

History
This Mayan city was the ancient capital of the Chajomá, a group that belonged to the Kaqchikel ethnic group, whose actual center is the town of San Martín Jilotepeque. There are no texts that give the exact date of the foundation of Chuwa Nima’Ab’aj, but a series of archaeological, historic and scientific considerations help us arrive at the conclusion that the most ancient constructions here go back to the 7th Century (Lehmann 1968).

During the Spanish conquest, Pedro de Alvarado had already taken over a great part of the territory of Guatemala when he arrived at Chuwa Nima’Ab’aj. In order to conquer the city, a small Spanish army was established in a plain known as the “Wide Plain”. The city had a secret entrance that was known as the “Sacred Path”, by which Pedro de Alvarado launched an attack with the help of 200 allied Tlaxcalteca warriors from what is now México. More than a month of combat passed until
Archaeological Park Chuwa Nima’ Ab’aj Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, July 16, 2016
3. Archaeological Park Chuwa Nima’ Ab’aj Marker
To the left is the additional marker, The Fortified City (Ciudad Fortaleza). To the far left is the relief map of the site.
the Spanish finally entered the city through what is now known as Group F, which was in an area that united the city by way of a bridge over a pit.

The city was rediscovered in 1896 (360 years after its conquest), by the German, Karl Sapper. In 1954 research at this site was begun under a French-Guatemalan archaeological mission headed by Henri Lehmann.

Captions:
Photograph of the contention wall to the east of Group B
Source: Lehmann, Henri.

Pyramid of Group C1 (Before the removal of loose rubble)
Source: Lehmann, Henri.
 
Location. 14° 52.305′ N, 90° 39.69′ W. Marker is near Pachalúm, El Quiché. Click for map. The marker is near the entrance to the Archaeological Park of Chuwa Nima' Ab'aj, previously known as Mixco Viejo.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 23 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Parish of Santo Domingo Xenacoj (approx. 21.7 kilometers away in Sacatepéquez).
 
Categories. Colonial EraForts, CastlesNative AmericansWars, Non-US
 
Archaeological Park Chuwa Nima’ Ab’aj Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, July 16, 2016
4. Archaeological Park Chuwa Nima’ Ab’aj Marker
A view of the contention wall shown in the first photo of the marker, although seen from the opposite side. The central ballcourt is in the center of the photo.
Archaeological Park Chuwa Nima’ Ab’aj Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, July 16, 2016
5. Archaeological Park Chuwa Nima’ Ab’aj Marker
Reconstructed remains from Group C.
Archaeological Park Chuwa Nima’ Ab’aj Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, July 16, 2016
6. Archaeological Park Chuwa Nima’ Ab’aj Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 162 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page was last revised on July 27, 2016.
Paid Advertisement