Pioneer Organizers of Methodism in Adams County
are some of the pioneer organizers
of Methodism in Adams County.
To these and others known only to God,
the Congregation of the Gettysburg
United Methodist Church
dedicate this monument
The first Methodist Episcopal Church
was erected on this site in 1822.
The second Methodist Episcopal Church
was completed on East Middle Street
in 1874 and was destroyed
by fire in 1968.
The present United Methodist Church,
which is a merger of the
Gettysburg Methodist Church
United Brethren Church,
is located at 30 West High Street.
Erected 1990 by Gettysburg United Methodist Church Congregants.
Location. 39° 49.76′ N, 77° 13.77′ W. Marker is in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is on Legion Alley 0.1 miles east of Baltimore Street (Business U.S. 15), on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Monument and cemetery are at the rear of the GAR Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 53 East Middle Street, Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At Grand Army of the Republic Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Public School (within shouting distance of this marker); “bullets . . . rattling against our hospital . . . ” (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); “ . . . in less than half an hour . . . ” (about 300 feet away); The Adams County Prison (about 300 feet away); Politics and "Penelope" (about 400 feet away); "uncertainty and dread" (about 500 feet away); Gettysburg Address Memorial and Abraham Lincoln Statue (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Gettysburg.
Also see . . . History of the Gettysburg United Methodist Church, 1815-2015. (Submitted on July 28, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 62 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on July 28, 2016.