“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Galveston Orphans Home

Galveston Orphans Home Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gregory Walker
1. Galveston Orphans Home Marker
Inscription. The Island City Orphans Home of the 1870s and 1880s was created to provide refuge for Protestant and Jewish children in Galveston. The orphanage operated out of its original wooden structure for the next twelve years, narrowly escaping destruction in the November 1885 fire which burned houses in the immediate neighborhood. When prominent businessman and philanthropist Henry Rosenberg died in 1893, his will appointed a building fund for the orphanage. Galveston architect Alfred Muller was hired to design the Gothic Revival style structure and Thomas Lucas and Sons was chosen as the builder. The "Galveston Orphans Home," a name that it would retain for over 80 years, was dedicated on November 15, 1895.

On September 8, 1900, a powerful hurricane devastated the island and the Orphans Home was heavily damaged. To benefit the reconstruction of the Orphans Home, a charity bazaar sponsored by William Randolph Hearst was held in New York City. With the $50,000 raised at the event, the Orphans Home board hired architect George B. Stowe to design the new building. Incorporating parts of the original building left standing, the new Orphans Home was constructed by local builder Harry Devlin in the Renaissance Revival style. The building was dedicated on March 30, 1902. Community support for the Galveston Orphans Home continued by way of
Galveston Orphans Home with Marker on the right image. Click for full size.
By Gregory Walker, July 27, 2016
2. Galveston Orphans Home with Marker on the right
donations and annual charity galas. In 1984, Galveston's orphanages combined to create the Children's Center, Inc. and moved to a different location, leaving this building vacant. For over a century, the Orphans Home provided a shelter for thousands of children and was a significant organization and charity for citizens of Galveston Island.
Erected 2015 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1826.)
Location. 29° 17.851′ N, 94° 47.326′ W. Marker is in Galveston, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is on Moody Avenue south of Avenue M Rear, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Galveston TX 77550, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. George Dealey (here, next to this marker); Galveston Children's Home (a few steps from this marker); Franklin-Wandless House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Joseph's Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Reedy Chapel A.M.E. Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Reedy Chapel A. M. E. Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sweeney-Royston House (approx. mile away); William J. Killeen House (approx. mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Galveston.
Categories. Charity & Public WorkMan-Made Features
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on August 1, 2016.
Paid Advertisement