Freeport in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Freeport National Bank
—(Freeport Sulphur Company Building) —
In 1913 the Freeport National Bank constructed a one-story edifice with a built-in vault on land acquired from the Freeport Townsite Company. In 1918 the Freeport Sulphur Company purchased adjoining property, erected a new two-story building and added a second floor to the bank structure.
The Freeport National Bank remained in business until 1955, when the Freeport Sulphur Company bought the property and maintained offices here until 1973. This Classical Revival structure with brick corbelling, a flat roof, multiple bays, and flat arched windows reflects popular commercial building trends of the early 20th century.
Erected 1997 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9563.)
Location. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 226 W Park Ave, Freeport TX 77541, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Quintana (approx. 2.6 miles away); The Lively (approx. 2.9 miles away); Gulf Intracoastal Waterway (approx. 3.7 miles away); Old Velasco, CSA (approx. 3.7 miles away); Velasco (approx. 3.7 miles away); Historical Jetties (approx. 3.7 miles away); Stringfellow Ranch (approx. 4.8 miles away); Battle of Jones Creek (approx. 7.9 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Freeport article in Handbook of Texas Online. (Submitted on July 30, 2016, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.)
2. Bryan Mound article in Handbook of Texas Online. (Submitted on July 30, 2016, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 68 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on August 1, 2016.