“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Eagle Lake in Wharton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)


Frazarville Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gregory Walker, July 27, 2016
1. Frazarville Marker
Inscription. Near this site once stood the community of Frazarville, founded in 1857 by Dr. Isaac James Frazar and his father, Col. James Watson Frazar. A locust infestation and Comanche raids forced them to move from Cibolo Creek in Bexar County to this site, just over the Wharton County line. Dr. Isaac James Frazar practiced medicine in Eagle Lake. His son, James Azariah Frazar, developed the community of Frazarville into several businesses that included a general store, cotton gin, and a blacksmith shop. James Watson Frazarís other son, George Watson Frazar, remained in Bexar County as Sheriff and Texas Ranger.

James Azariah Frazar also owned bank stock in Henrietta, Clay County. When the bank began to fail, in 1889, James moved his family to Henrietta to become president of the bank. He served successfully for five years, continuing his interests in Frazarville until 1892. His sister, Annie Gertrude Frazar, and her descendents continued to own portions of the Frazarville property. Several Family members are buried in the Frazar Family Cemetery near this site, including Isaac James Frazar, His wife, Almira Kimbro Frazar, and Annie Gertrude Frazar. The James Watson Frazar family was followed by brother Micajah Frazar and family to Matthews and Eagle Lake, where the Frazar Opera House was built.

The Frazar ancestors originally
Location of Frazarville Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gregory Walker
2. Location of Frazarville Marker
arrived from Inverness, Scotland, to North Carolina in 1678. They owned plantations in North Carolina, Alabama (later Mississippi), Tennessee and Texas. Their migration across the South exemplified many other Scottish journeys to Texas made in the seventeenth, eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.
Erected 2015 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18196.)
Location. 29° 29.43′ N, 96° 18.518′ W. Marker is near Eagle Lake, Texas, in Wharton County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 102 and Farm to Market Road 3013, on the right when traveling south on Road 102. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Eagle Lake TX 77434, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Joseph and Rachel Rabb Newman (approx. 4.3 miles away); Lakeside Sugar Refinery (approx. 5.4 miles away); Rice Culture in Colorado County (approx. 6.9 miles away); Town of Eagle Lake (approx. 7 miles away); Navigation of the Colorado River (approx. 8 miles away); Martin Allen (approx. 16.9 miles away).
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 103 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on August 1, 2016.
Paid Advertisement