Harding in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Soldier’s Hut [Replica]
“December 19, 1779 – For two weeks we have been very diligently employed in building our Hutts. The weather has been rather against us, but we have got our buildings almost finished and find ‘em very comfortable – so that barring accidents I think the troops will have very good Winter Quarters.” – Lieutenant Colonel Marinus Willet, 3rd New York Regiment
By 1779, after past winter encampment high death rates due in part to poor construction, General Washington ordered huts, like these replicas, to be built to strict dimensional standards of 14 feet wide by 16 feet long and front walls 6½ feet high to the eaves of the roof. All huts were built on the sides of hills to ensure proper drainage and in straight lines. Each hut was home to 12 soldiers where they cooked and ate their meager rations, warmed their frozen bodies and slept until reveille called them to duty the next morning.
Location. 40° 46.497′ N, 74° 32.153′ W. Marker is in Harding, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker is on Grand Parade Road, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in Morristown National Historical Park, along the tour road at the Pennsylvania
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Officer’s Hut [Replica] (a few steps from this marker); A heritage of hearths (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Pennsylvania Line (about 400 feet away); Settling in (about 400 feet away); A Revolutionary Winter (about 400 feet away); Sons of Saint Patrick (about 500 feet away); Continental Army Encampment at Morristown (about 800 feet away); Inspections (about 800 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Harding.
Categories. • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 121 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on July 30, 2016.