“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mabank in Kaufman County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)


Mabank Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rheba Bybee, July 30, 2016
1. Mabank Marker
Inscription. Originally part of the George T. Walters Survey, this acreage in the 1840s and '50s belonged to many absentee landowners including Sam Houston. In 1887 John R. Jones, a merchant from nearby Goshen, and his wife Joella platted and developed a town called "Lawn City" (1 mi. NE). Soon a post office was established and the name changed to "Lawndale". When the Texas & New Orleans Railroad bypassed Lawndale in 1900 on its route from Kemp to Athens, it ran through the northern part of the Mason-Eubank Ranch. The owners, Thomas H. Eubank (1859-1952) and rancher-banker G.W. ("Dodge") Mason (1858-1917), set aside one square mile of their holdings for a town. The name "Mabank" was formed by combining the names of the two landowners.

Lawndale families and merchants began moving to Mabank. The town grew rapidly, boasting a park, depot, and stock loading pens. There was a gin, post office, cafe, hotel, and several mercantile businesses. Later, church lots were set aside for Baptist, Methodist and Presbyterian congregations. The Baptist church erected a building for a community house and school.

The economy of the area depended first on farming and later on ranching. The 1966 development of Cedar Creek Lake strengthened the community.
Erected 1979 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker
Mabank image. Click for full size.
By Rheba Bybee, July 30, 2016
2. Mabank
Number 8533.)
Location. 32° 22.15′ N, 96° 6.796′ W. Marker is in Mabank, Texas, in Kaufman County. Marker is at the intersection of West Mason Street (Business U.S. 175) and West Market Street, on the left when traveling south on West Mason Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mabank TX 75147, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Roddy Lodge No. 734, A.F. & A.M. (approx. 0.7 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Mabank (approx. 0.7 miles away); First Baptist Church of Mabank (approx. 0.8 miles away); White Hall School (approx. 2.9 miles away); Baker Cemetery (approx. 5.8 miles away); Capt. Edward Thomas Broughton and the Johnson Guards (approx. 7.7 miles away); Prairieville (approx. 7.7 miles away); Kemp (approx. 8.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Mabank.
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. This page has been viewed 117 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on August 1, 2016.
Paid Advertisement